Aerobic Fitness And Resistance Training
Aerobic exercise increases the amount of oxygen delivered to the muscles and allows them to work longer. Any activity that increases the heart rate for a longer period of time, and ultimately will lead to improved physical condition.
Benefits of aerobic exercise
- Heart health
- Blood supply to the heart and muscles
- Muscle strength
- Efficient use of oxygen
- Mood, self-esteem.
- Risk of diabetes
- The risk of developing cancers
- The risk of cardiovascular disease
- Blood pressure
- Cholesterol levels
- Depression and anxiety.
As physical condition improves, after aerobic exercises you can observe changes in breathing and circulation (there are no more shortness of breath or feeling that heart will explode). Many of aerobic exercises will also cause increased muscle strength and flexibility.
Types of aerobic exercise
One of the easiest aerobic exercise is walking. No special equipment is required and can be do it anywhere. To resemble an aerobic exercise, walking has to be fast, to increase the pulse and respiration request. But not fast enough to not be comfortable. Some people choose to walk 30 minutes during their lunch break or after the program, while others choose 3 sets of 10 minutes. You can add other exercises during the day. The course of 10 minutes to 3 times per day is equivalent to walking for 30 minutes once a day. These activities are gradually increased. It can grow by using a pedometer that will count the steps, parking in a place far away to go walking, climbing stairs. Make a supermarket tour before you start shopping.
Other aerobic activities include:
- Aerobic lessons
- Running or jogging
- Daily activities like walking the dog or playing with children. This should be done at least for 8-10 minutes with a medium intensity.
- Water aerobics is especially for the elderly, the obese or those with joint problems
- Sports such as tennis, basketball or football.
To maximize the effects of aerobic exercise it is indicate to start with a brief heating, such as walking or stationary bike and then a short program of stretching. After that experts recommend:
- Moderate activity for 30 minutes a day, 5 or more days per week
- Moderate activity equivalent to brisk walking
- Strenuous exercise for 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week
- Intense exercises that require 70% or more of maximum heart rate
- For children and adolescents indicate at least 1 hour of physical activity a day.
Effect of aerobic exercise
To get the benefit of your health it is indicated a moderate effort, the heart rate should be between 50 and 70% of the maximum possible value, or at a pace that appear shortness of breath.
A simple way to monitor the rate of exercise is:
- If you can not talk during exercise then it is too intense
- If you can sing during exercise is not intense enough.
You can determine the pulse rate during exercise. As aerobic exercise are more often will notice a decrease in pulse exercises that were once accompanied by higher pulse. It is a sign of better physical condition.